Octopus braised in wine is also a traditional Cyprus meal. Cyprus cuisine can’t be imagined without seafood. And meals made from octopus are one of the best here. This recipe will bring something new to your diet and surprise the guests for sure. Preparation time is 1 hour and 10 minutes.
2 kg frozen octopus
1 glass of good dry red wine
2 Tsp olive oil
3 Tsp vinegar
4 Tsp ground dry coriander
any greens at your choice for dressing
- To defrost the octopus put it in the strainer for about 20 minutes. It’s an easy way to get rid of the water too.
- Chop the octopus into equal big slices.
- Add vinegar to a hot pan and put the octopus in. Fry for 3-4 minutes on a high heat until the water is evaporated and the meat is soft. Add some oil and continue to fry the meat for a half an hour without covering the pan with a lid, to avoid additional liquid.
- Add grounded coriander and fry for another 5-10 minutes.
- Add the wine in the end and cook stirring about 5 minutes on a medium heat to let the alcohol evaporate.
The meal is usually served on a big plate dressed with fresh greens. Please, note, that you don’t need to salt it because the meat is already salty by itself, so it will be enough for a good taste. The octopus meat is a diet and healthy food and will be a good addition to your everyday menu.